Friday, January 20, 2012

My Son

Asperger syndrome (AS) is a developmental disorder.
AS is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), one of a distinct group of neurological conditions characterized by a greater or lesser degree of impairment in language and communication skills, as well as repetitive or restrictive patterns of thought and behavior.
The most distinguishing symptom of AS is a child’s obsessive interest in a single object or topic to the exclusion of any other.  Some children with AS have become experts on vacuum cleaners, makes and models of cars, even objects as odd as deep fat fryers(or legos, Gettysburg and the Titanic(added by me).  Children with AS want to know everything about their topic of interest and their conversations with others will be about little else.  Their expertise, high level of vocabulary, and formal speech patterns make them seem like little professors.  
Children with AS will gather enormous amounts of factual information about their favorite subject and will talk incessantly about it, but the conversation may seem like a random collection of facts or statistics, with no point or conclusion.  

Children with AS often lack the ability to modulate the volume of their voice to match their surroundings.  For example, they will have to be reminded to talk softly every time they enter a library or a movie theatre.   
peculiarities in speech and language, such as speaking in an overly formal manner or in a monotone, or taking figures of speech literally
Unlike the severe withdrawal from the rest of the world that is characteristic of autism, children with AS are isolated because of their poor social skills and narrow interests.  In fact, they may approach other people, but make normal conversation impossible by inappropriate or eccentric behavior, or by wanting only to talk about their singular interest.    
Children with AS usually have a history of developmental delays in motor skills such as pedaling a bike, catching a ball, or climbing outdoor play equipment.   They are often awkward and poorly coordinated with a walk that can appear either stilted or bouncy
Many children with AS are highly active in early childhood, and then develop anxiety or depression in young adulthood.  Other conditions that often co-exist with AS are ADHD, tic disorders (such as Tourette syndrome), depression, anxiety disorders, and OCD.    
Boys are three to four times more likely than girls to have AS. 
I love Aiden with all my heart. And my heart aches for him as well. Aiden's diagnosed with mild AS, as well as ADHD. His ADHD is  controlled with medication (currently Daytrana and Clonodine).
I watched my Mom struggle for years (and still struggle) with my brother, who has severe AS (as well as many other problems.)  I never thought I would have a child on the spectrum. 
I worry. I worry that he doesn't have any friends. That he is the one the kids make fun of at school. He doesn't understand when people make fun of him, or tease him. Sarcasm is like a foreign language to him. I very, very rarely hear a real laugh from him because he doesn't understand humor or jokes. When he does a real laugh; it is so precious to me.
He's obsessed with Legos and bagpipes and lately, the Titanic and Gettysburg. He sucks up every, single piece of information he can about it. Most conversations go back to either of those three topics. 
But Aiden is one of the most compassionate kids I know. He's empathetic and caring towards everyone. He's beautiful inside and out. He is one of the best big brothers ever (except when Grady is pushing his buttons.) He has so much love in his heart. And I pray that his peers are able to see that. That he won't be judged by his "quirks" but by the whole person that he is. 
I've always called Aiden my Angel and my Light. And he is. Our struggles aside-I am VERY, VERY blessed.
I wish childhood was easier. I wish I didn't have to worry about people teasing my precious son. I just hope and pray that I'm doing a good enough job raising him so that he will have confidence in himself and who he is; no matter what anyone says.

No comments:

Post a Comment