Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Why yes...I AM a Disney Freak!!

~I wrote this about a year ago, to try and explain my obsession and love for all things Disney (especially Disney World!)  I wanted to share my love with you all!~




Not many people can understand my obsession with Walt Disney World. Not very many people can understand why I tear up just seeing Disney World on TV. Or why I would put myself into debt just to get to Disney every few years. I get weird looks when I get excited talking about Disney World, or when I try to jump into conversations to help people plan their trips.  Not many people can understand how a place can be a passion, an obsession, a drug and a happy place.  Not unless you’re a Disney Freak like me.

My love and obsession with Disney started at a very early age.  Maybe before I was born. It’s in my blood. I am a second generation Disney Freak. My mom is a Disney Freak and proud of it! She understand my deepest desires to spend time with a 6 foot mouse or just stand at the end of  Main Street and suddenly feel…whole.

My first trip to Disney I was very young. Maybe two or three and I don’t remember anything. It was those trips later in life, through my teenage years that changed me forever.

I’m lactose Intolerant. I have been since I had E. Coli when I was five. Now, it’s not a big deal. There is so many things without dairy or obviously labeled “milk allergy” and lactaid pills help with everything. I take one, I can eat anything. But twenty years ago, it was a different story.  It took my mom hours to grocery shop, she had to read every label on everything. And going out to eat was a nightmare. I usually ended up eating something very bland, or picking it apart to make sure there wasn’t a shred of cheese in it. We were planning a huge trip to Disney. My Dad had a few weeks off work. Disney had a new package called the “Fun and Food Card” where you paid for the card, and ate where ever you wanted; similar to the Dining plan they use now. That was a nightmare for me. All I could think was I’d be stuck eating lettuce all vacation while my family got to eat all the amazing food (and Disney has amazing food!) My mom made all the dining reservations and at everyone told them we had a special diet. Our first night there, the first restaurant, we sat down to eat. It was a family style meal and I was prepared to eat lettuce.  After the  waitress took our drink order, the head chef came to our table. He told us he would prepare the food so I could eat what my family was eating, minus the dairy.  He talked to my mom about what I couldn’t have and talked to me about what I wanted to have.  And when my families food came out, so did mine. And it was amazing. And this is what happened at every single meal! They made me feel so special and at the same time, not left out at all. That is when I fell head over heal over head in love with Disney World, a love that went deeper when I experienced the park through my children’s eyes.

The moment we pull onto Disney property, everything changes.  The air smells cleaner, the grass greener, the world better. You can feel the magic in the air. Driving under the giant arch that says Walt Disney World brings goose bumps to my entire body and tears to my eyes.  I always take a deep breath and feel my entire body relax; I’m here!

Walking into Magic Kingdom is my happy place. If I’m ever in pain, or scared this is what I imagine. Slowly walking under the train station. It’s cool, a small escape from the tropic Florida heat. I can hear music echoing through the locker area. Shouts of happy children. Guide maps line the wall. Cast Members smile and wave.  My chest feels tight as I try to not cry out of pure happiness again. Stepping into the sun on the other side of the train station, I feel it. I feel whole. Complete. I feel home!! Magic is so thick it sizzles in the air.  Kids are smiling. Parents are smiling.  Lines have formed to meet favorite characters at the entrance. Goofy. Chip and Dale.  Dopey. And then, standing near the flag pole, I can see the castle. It never fails, I always tear up. That beautiful castle at the end of Main Street USA gets me every time. Music floats through the air, as well as the mouth watering aroma from the Main Street Bakery. Disney has a distinct smell. No, not body odor and sun screen! Brownies, cookies, fresh paint and magic!


Disney World is the one place I feel no stress. Every day worries drift away as I link arms with my family and we skip down Main Street together singing “I’m walking right down the middle of Main Street USAAAAAAA!” (I’m not exaggerating, we really do this!) It’s my happy place, my escape, my dream and my fantasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment