Thursday, May 26, 2011

Our soggy house



When we got the opportunity to move into this house; it was a total God send. Our other house was making our kids sick; Aiden was getting constant migraines (which are under control now.) and Grady almost died from a silent asthma attack after I ripped up a piece of flooring. He was having 3-4 asthma attacks a week at that point as well.

This house is what we always wanted. No carpet for Grady's asthma. Nice sized rooms. A big, fenced in back-yard and best of all, right across the street from my Mom; where I grew up! It was wonderful moving back to V-town.  My kids getting to do the things I did growing up, going to to the same schools, living in a safe quiet community. I still love this house. It is perfect for us.

But one very big downfall.

The Basement.

3 weeks after we moved in, we had a sewage backup in the basement cause by the tree roots clogging the sewer. We lost A LOT of stuff; including about 100 books and my boys baby books. Damaged photo albums etc. It was a nightmare.

But we trudged through. Turned the basement into Aiden's "man-cave" where he could get away from everything and listen to his music, do his legos, play his games etc. without having a little brother bugging to play.

Then our sump pump backed up.  Aiden's man-cave carpet was ruined but luckily, that was about it. So we had to clean the pump and once again shop vac up the mess.

When we moved in, we were told the basement it totally water proof. They have had work done. It's been freshly sealed. Never had leaking issues. I don't know whether it's just our luck or someone wasn't telling the whole truth because this spring has been the spring of rain and leaks.

It has rained 37 of the last 41 days.

A huge crack has appeared in the front wall and every time it rains, leaks. It is now to the point where there are tiny fountains spraying onto the floor when it rains. I have constant puddles in the basement now. Sometimes small, most times huge. I've gone through dozens of towels trying to keep the flow under control. I've shop-vaced the day after but I'm dealing with this alone because Brett is on the road and there is only so much I can do at 22 weeks pregnant. It is very very frustrating.

These were taken last night between storms.

 The towels kept the water slightly at bay but under is about an inch of water and they are totally saturated
 Some run off on an opposite wall
 Our basement fountains.

More run off on an opposite wall.

I'm sure it's much worse today because we had 2 more major rain storms after this picture but I've been trying really hard to NOT go in the basement. The sight is only going to frustrate me and there's nothing I can do on my own right now.

Our land lord "promises" to re-seal the basement and even put grooves in the floor leading to the sump pump (since we have no drain in the floor) so puddles like this won't happen again. But they want to wait until it's dry and well, the way this spring is going, that might not happen until July! I'm frustrated with the entire ordeal.

Now, I know I am lucky. We are blessed to only have this kind of damage when so many people in the mid-west have lost everything to the killer tornadoes. And I'm trying to be grateful I'm only dealing with a basement full of water instead of a pile of rubble. 

But I'm still frustrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment