Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Well Child

Today Aiden had his 8 year old check up.  My big guy is 51 inches and 70 lbs!

He is very excited to be 51 inches because once he is 52 inches he can ride almost everything at Cedar Point. He has been growing so much (half inch in the last month) so I don't think hitting that 52" mark before the end of summer will be any problem for him.

As a lot of people know, Aiden was diagnosed ADHD when he as 5 years old.  He takes (or shall I say wears) a medicated patch named Daytrana and it works wonderful for him. It has been the best medication we have found that works for him and he likes not having to take pills every day. He has done very well on it and has had a very good school year with that bit of assistance.

But there have been other things I've worried about lately. Aiden is a very high strung, anxious child. He has zero sense of humor; he doesn't get jokes or sarcasm. He is very very literal about everything. It's all black and white; there is no grey.  He also has some problems in social situations, has trouble reading social cues, carrying on coherant conversations and making or keeping friends (which breaks my heart).  So I wanted to talk to his Dr. about the possibility of Aiden being on the Autism Spectrum with Aspergers.

ADHD, Aspergers and Autism are all on the same wheel, or spectrum. There are so many over-lapping symptoms sometimes, especially ADHD and Aspergers. But the older Aiden gets, the more I see it in him (my 15 year old brother is also diagnosed aspergers)

Dr.T. agreed that he sees a lot of asperger markers in Aiden, even in the short time they see each other (Aiden goes for monthly re-checks on his adhd).  But he doesn't want to explore it too deeply yet.  As everyone knows, there is no cure; just treatment. Aiden would be concidered high functioning aspergers.  If there comes a point where I need to get an IEP for him, or want to get him into special programs where we would need that "officially Dr. T noted", then the Dr T said we can explore it deeper.

On one hand, it is good to have Dr. T. agree with me. To know I can read my child so well. On the other hand, it sucks to have Dr. T. agree with me and confirm my fears.

It doesn't matter. I love Aiden more than anything- even if he had 5 arms, 3 legs and a horn between his eyes.  He's a beautiful, caring, compassionate child and nothing can change him in my eyes.

And on to something a little lighter.......birthday party pictures!!!



                                             





No comments:

Post a Comment