Friday, June 10, 2011

What's in a name

When it came to picking the name for our third child, there were a few "rules" I made. It had to be of Irish/Scottish/Gaelic descent, have a good strong meaning, go well with Aiden and Grady and I really preferred to not have a popular name.


Aiden's name means "One born of Fire" or "Fiery"; which totally fits his personality. When I picked the name Aiden in 2003, it wasn't popular. The next year; it exploded in popularity! Now, I hear about Aiden's everywhere (and they all seem to live up to their fiery name).  Aiden's middle name is Charles, after his biological fathers step-dad.

Grady's name was suggested because of our love of the Cleveland Indians and Grady Sizemore. But the name Grady fit my ideas very well. Grady is also a Gaelic name meaning "An Illustrious Person". And I believe whole heartily he will live up to that. Grady's middle name is Quinn, after my grandparents who made/make such a huge impact on my life.

So when it came down to naming our 3rd son, his name had a lot to live up to. Brett wasn't too keen on most of the Gaelic names I picked out and I didn't like his ideas for "normal" names.  We batted around "Peyton" for a while but decided it had moved more into a girl's name than a boys lately. I liked Finnegan (Finn) but no one else did.

We were finally able to agree on a name we all likes; and it even gave Aiden a bit of imput too.

He will be named Liam Lowell

Liam means strong-willed warrior (among other things). If he lives up to strong-willed, the kind of scares me but it sounds like a strong name. Aiden loves the warrior part because he feels he will make a good Jedi someday.  Lowell is after Brett's Grandfather, who recently passed away (and it happens to be his great-grandfathers name as well).

So we will have an Aiden, Grady and Liam.  I'm very excited to have my three boys. I can't wait to meet Liam in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment